Can I transfer my Electrician’s License from overseas?

If you are qualified and/or licensed overseas, there is a 4-step process that you must complete to apply for an Australian occupational license in your trade. Let’s review it together:

  1. Obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through a skill assessment. This step requires you to demonstrate work experience and/or related qualifications so you can demonstrate proficiency in the occupation Electrician (General class). This may also require a trade test and the process is overseen by Trades Recognition Australia. Find further information in Electrician (General and Special Class) | Trades Recognition Australia.
  2. Apply and obtain a provisional licence. In our state, you must head to a Service NSW with your proof of identity and your OTSR to apply, and it usually takes around 12 weeks to get a response.
  3. Once you have obtained both documents and if you are currently employed in the industry, you can enrol into our course 10809NAT Gap Training in Electrician. It is a self-paced, online course with practical sessions designed for the busy lifestyle of a tradesperson. All the details can be found in 10809NAT – Course in Electrician – Minimum Australian Context Gap | Superior Training Centre (
  4.  Upon completion of the theory, practical and workplace learning component, you will receive an Australian VET qualification. This is the main requirement to apply for an Electrician’s license in NSW, although more work experience may be required depending on the applicant’s profile. Find all the details in Electrical | NSW Fair Trading.

If you are not able to obtain your OTSR, we can also offer alternative pathways, such as Recognition of Prior Learning. Get a free check to find out the best option for you by reaching out to


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.